Relax, rejuvenate and replenish with 20 head massage tips
Massaging the scalp and hair with suitable oils can make the hair look healthy and lustrous. Apart from the beauty it offers, hair massage could rejuvenate your mental status and would help you relieve stress and shed out the burdens and give you a whole new fresh insight towards your daily chores. Here are a few hair massaging tips which can benefit in mental and physical detoxification.
1. Sesame oil and Almond oil are the best oils used for massaging the scalp and hair. They are used as base oils, as they take away tightness and stiffness of the scalp and help in providing nourishment to the hair. These oils are preferred in healing various disorders as they penetrate easily into the blood stream.
2. Coconut oil is a well known massaging oil as it contains various properties which help strengthen the hair and prevent thinning and grey-ing at an early age. In India, warm coconut oil massage is preferred for hair and body. Various herbs and hibiscus mixed with coconut oil, give you a very healthy looking hair.
3. A few ayurvedic oils are also used for hair massage as they contain properties of various herbs. These oils are prepared by cooking the herbs in oil and later strained for further use.
4. One of the best, the hibiscus oil, is used in hair massage as they have the property to retain hair color and strength the roots. It is well known for its cooling properties.
5. Herbs like Rosemary, Lavender and Jasmine are used essentially in hair growth, reducing premature grey-ing , thinning of hair and conditioning the scalp. They also keep the hair away from any stiffness or dryness.
6. Massaging your scalp at-least once a day is a must. Massaging is done by applying even pressure all over the head in a similar fashion. This should be done for at-least 3 to 4 minutes after which you experience a tingling sensation which makes you feel pleasant.
7. For Vata hair, using of Ayurvedic oils containing Bracopa (brahmi) is the best as it helps in hair thickness, cools the mind and relaxes the entire nervous system.
8. Gooseberry which helps in purifying, cooling and nourishing the hair, is suitable for all types of hair. It is best suited for someone who has pitta kind of hair. Gooseberry prevents your scalp from getting dry and avoids flakes.
9. Massaging regularly with Margosa (neem) oil is very beneficial for kapha type of hair. It helps in cleansing and purifying the hair and scalp.
10. Aromatherapy oils are an excellent choice for hair massage as they contain various soothing properties. Using these oils could give you a pleasurable feeling.
11. Hair pulling massage is another relieving massage were the fingers are placed close to the scalp. This is done by grabbing the hair just near the scalp and pulling it gently. After the pull, release the grip and repeat this over entire scalp.
12. Tapping the head gently with a boar bristle brush also improves blood circulation.
13. Start Massaging at the bottom of the skull then move towards the ears. Then start at the center and repeat the process again. This type of massage is called the Oriental scalp massage.
14. In Friction massage, knuckles are used over the head area and scalp with rapid movements. This includes the movement of fingers in circular motions from front of the head to the nape of the neck and then retracing the movement from the nape of the neck to the front part of head.
15. For kneading massage, the knuckles are used to massage the scalp. The movements involved in this massage should be firm, slow and processed in a kneading movement.
16. For oily scalp, massage equal parts of Witch Hazel and Mineral Water into the scalp. For dry scalp, use equal amounts of Rose and Mineral Waters. After the massage, keep it on for at-least half an hour and then rinse it away.
17. Using of Alovera gel or coconut milk for massaging the scalp is the best remedy for curing hair loss.
18. For dandruff control, use a cotton wool soaked in eucalyptus oil. Now rub the soaked cotton wool thoroughly over the scalp. After that, wrap up a warm towel around your head for at-least 20 minutes and then rinse it away using a shampoo. Repeating this treatment once a week could reduce the dandruff problem.
19. Due to various climatic factors and changes, hair could look like a bunch of dry straw. To avoid this, using of appropriate oils and massaging them deeply into the scalp gives it enough moisture and prevents from drying.
20. Oiling the hair is a most basic step for hair care. After oiling, give a hot towel treatment once-a-week for ten minutes and wash it away. This helps in strengthening and nourishing the hair.